Here’s the deal – I used to LOVE Morningstar Farms Black Bean Burgers but, of course, they contain gluten, yeast, and all sorts of things I can’t have now. So I made up my own version and I think it’s pretty darn good. We’ve made these several times. If you don’t have brown rice flour I’m sure another gluten free flour would do. Also, you can use bread crumbs in the place of the flour and the quinoa flakes. Just keep adding until the mixture becomes hard to stir and you can scoop out a ball and form into a patty – don’t let them get too dry though – just use enough so that you can form them into patties. They will be VERY sticky – that’s normal! I’ve also found that as the patties sit they become more firm – I guess because the flour is absorbing the moisture in the mix. So I recommend letting them sit a bit before cooking – it will help them hold together better. I usually brown these in a skillet – they get nice and crisp on the outside! But last night we were grilling and put them right on the grill. They were FABULOUS!!!! I just sprayed the patties with a little olive oil spray before putting them on, and again before we flipped them. They browned and crisped up very quickly!!! Also, like with most of my recipes, the measurements for the seasonings are estimated. I do it all to taste. It all depends on your personal preference. I think these would also be great with a little bit of the Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning added but I was out – you could also try with roasted poblano peppers! think I’ll try that next time. Also, if corn doesn’t bother you – throw a few kernels in! Enjoy!!!
One more thing – we served these with homemade guac and melted Daiya cheese on top and served between slices of grilled eggplant. Also topped them with Vegan Gourmet sour cream and Drew’s salsa! Some of my favorite awesome gluten free/vegan products! SO yummy!
Black Bean Burgers
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
2-3 scallions – white and green parts
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
tsp + garlic powder
1T+ Chili powder
Dash dried oregano
Quinoa flakes (about 1/4-1/2 cup)
Brown rice flour (about 1/4-1/2 cup)
1 egg or 1 Flax egg (1T ground flax seeds mixed w/ 3 T warm water-allow to sit several minutes)
- Roughly chop scallions (white and green parts) and place in rood processor with cilantro and bell pepper – process until finely chopped and set aside.
- Place beans in a large bowl and mash well with a potato masher
- Stir flax seeds into warm water and set aside to thicken
- add processed veggies to bowl of beans and mix well
- add seasonings to taste
- stir water and flax seeds until thick and add to bean mixture and mix well
- add quinoa flakes and brown rice flour (or breadcrumbs) until thick patties can be formed
- mix in a few extra roughly torn cilantro leaves
- taste and reseason if necessary
- form into 4 equal patties
- heat a non-stick skillet on med/med high heat
- add olive oil spray and cook patties until dark brown and crisp.